Ecogate® delivers for Chilfen Joinery
Family business Chilfen Joinery are a leading bespoke joinery specialist serving the commercial and retail fit-out markets. Chilfen are a modern, efficient and competitive company with a workshop that boasts state of the art machinery including CNC (Computer Numerical Control) routers, an automatic edge-banding machine, a high-performance moulder, a panel beam saw and wide-belt sander.
Authorised installer Dust Control Systems Ltd (DCS) were commissioned to install Ecogate® energy-saving technology to improve the efficiency of Chilfen’s existing dust extraction system at their modern 33,000 sq ft production facility in Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire.
- The new system replaced an inefficient one that ran at a constant speed, whether machines were running or not.
- Two greenBox12+ controllers were installed, connected in series, twenty Ecogate® motorised gates and remote sensors fitted to machines and variable speed drives for the main 75kW fan and a 18.5kW waste transfer fan.
- Major ductwork modifications were made throughout the workshop.
- An existing through-flow filter, along with its 30kW fan, was removed from the system saving over 300 sq ft of valuable floor space and around £6,000 in electricity bills.
- The new system delivered a reduction in electricity usage of around 160,000 kilowatt hours per year
"Our dust plant has been transformed into a highly-efficient system, which operates at reduced noise levels, and provides extraction only where needed. In the past, if someone was required to come in over the weekend, and operate just one machine, extraction for the whole factory would be running. The installation engineers did a first class job and carried out all aspects of the project in a very professional way."
Russell Pearson, production manager at Chilfen